What are the signs and symptoms of COVID-19 in children?
- A High Temperature
- A New Continuous Cough – Coughing a lot for more than 1 hour, or 3 or more episodes in 24 hours
- A Loss Or Change To Smell Or Taste – This means they cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
- Researchers from Queens University Belfast say that vomiting and diarrhoea are also linked to COVID-19 in children
What to do if your child has signs or symptoms of COVID-19
- If your child displays any of the symptoms above and they are in school, you will be contacted and asked to come and collect your child to take them to be tested.
- If your child displays any of these symptoms whilst at home, please do not send them into school and take them to be tested.
What to do when you receive your child’s test results
- If your child tests positive for COVID-19, they will be required to say at home for 10 days as of the day they received their positive test result. If your child is displaying no symptoms following the 10 day period, they will be able to return to school.
- As part of our dynamic risk assessment, if your child tests negative for COVID-19 they will be required to stay at home for 4 days following the negative test result, if at the end of the 4 day period your child is showing no symptoms and is well, they can return to school
- However, if your child continues to show symptoms or is unwell following the 4 day period, please keep them off school until they are fully better
- After you receive a test result, please contact school to keep us informed so that we are able to register your child’s school attendance accordingly, and so we know when to expect your child to return to school
What if my child refuses to have the test, or the test comes back inconclusive?
- If your child refuses to have the test for COVID-19, they will be required to stay at home for 14 days, if after the 14 day period your child is displaying no symptoms, they will be able to return to school.
- If your child’s test comes back inconclusive, they will be required to stay at home for 14 days, if after the 14 day period, your child is displaying no symptoms, they will be able to return to school.
Where can I get my child tested for COVID-19?
- If your child has any of the signs or symptoms of COVID-19, you will need to book a COVID-19 test online. You can follow this link to book a test… https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test
- If your child is showing no direct COVID-19 symptoms, they can be tested at a walk in test centre. Details of the local walk in centre are below:
- Preston Markets – Monday-Saturday – 10am-3pm
- If your child is showing symptoms, they can also be tested at this walk in test centre:
- Moor Park Avenue (Next to Deepdale Bowling Club) – Monday-Sunday – 10am-3pm
What if I can’t get a suitable test time or test location for my child?
- We are aware that there is a current issue with booking COVID-19 tests online
- If you are struggling to find an appropriate location or time for your child’s test, we can offer you a ‘Test At Home Kit’ from school
- Please note that we only receive a limited stock of these tests so we ask that you try to book a test online before requesting a ‘Test At Home Kit’ from school
- You do not need to book an appointment in advance for walk in test centres
- We are aware that pupils who don’t live in a household covered by Preston City Council are being turned away from the walk in tests centres in Preston. If you are struggling to book a test and there is no walk in centres in your area, you will be able to collect a test from school
We understand the big impact this can have on all families but we really appreciate the level of caution being taken by everyone to ensure that the disease does not spread throughout school.
Please be aware that this guidance is taken from the DFE and the local authority and could change in an instant. We will continue to update our dynamic risk assessment in line with all the guidance we receive and continue to update you as parents as soon as changes are made.
If you require any further information, please contact school on 01772 792681 or if you would like to speak to the dedicated NHS COVID-19 service, call 119.
LCC COVID-19 Quick Guide
*Please note that as a school, we still require pupils to remain off school for 4 days following a negative test result, they can return following the 4 day period as long as they are fully well.