What are the signs and symptoms of COVID-19 in children?
- A High Temperature
- A New Continuous Cough – Coughing a lot for more than 1 hour, or 3 or more episodes in 24 hours
- A Loss Or Change To Smell Or Taste – This means they cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
- Researchers from Queens University Belfast say that vomiting and diarrhoea are also linked to COVID-19 in children
What to do if your child has signs or symptoms of COVID-19
- If your child displays any of the symptoms above and they are in school, you will be contacted and asked to come and collect your child to take them to be tested.
- If your child displays any of these symptoms whilst at home, please do not send them into school and take them to be tested.
What to do when you receive your child’s test results
- If your child tests positive for COVID-19, they will be required to say at home for 10 days as of the day they received their positive test result. If your child is displaying no symptoms following the 10 day period, they will be able to return to school.
- If your child tests negative for COVID-19, they will be able to return to school as long as they are fully well and symptom free
- After you receive a test result, please contact school to keep us informed so that we are able to register your child’s school attendance accordingly, and so we know when to expect your child to return to school
What if my child refuses to have the test, or the test comes back inconclusive?
- If your child refuses to have the test for COVID-19, they will be required to stay at home for 14 days, if after the 14 day period your child is displaying no symptoms, they will be able to return to school.
- If your child’s test comes back inconclusive, they will be required to stay at home for 14 days, if after the 14 day period, your child is displaying no symptoms, they will be able to return to school.
Where can I get my child tested for COVID-19?
- If your child has any of the signs or symptoms of COVID-19, you will need to book a COVID-19 test online. You can follow this link to book a test… https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test
- You can get your child tested at the following locations
- Leyland Civic Centre Car Park - Appointment Only
- Park and Ride, Capitol Centre, Walton-Le-Dale - Appointment Only
- UCLAN, Vernon Car Park - Appointment Only
What if I can’t get a suitable test time or test location for my child?
- If you are struggling to find an appropriate location or time for your child’s test, we can offer you a ‘Test At Home Kit’ from school
- Please note that we only receive a limited stock of these tests so we ask that you try to book a test online before requesting a ‘Test At Home Kit’ from school
- You do not need to book an appointment in advance for walk in test centres
- We are aware that pupils who don’t live in a household covered by Preston City Council are being turned away from the walk in tests centres in Preston. If you are struggling to book a test and there is no walk in centres in your area, you will be able to collect a test from school
Home Test Kits
- We are able to supply home test kits for those who are struggling to book a test online
- As a school we receive 10 home test kits every 21 days
- In order to register your home test kit, follow these instructions...
- Follow this link https://test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/register-home-test and select 'Start Now'
- Make sure you read the instructions included within the home test kit, then choose the 'yes' option and 'continue'
- You will then need to click the hyperlink which says 'register your kit a different way'
- Then continue through the pages until it asks for your unique test kit bar code, you can then either scan the bar code which is on the front of the test kit or type in the 10 digit code below it
We understand the big impact this can have on all families but we really appreciate the level of caution being taken by everyone to ensure that the disease does not spread throughout school.
Please be aware that this guidance is taken from the DFE and the local authority and could change in an instant. We will continue to update our dynamic risk assessment in line with all the guidance we receive and continue to update you as parents as soon as changes are made.
If you require any further information, please contact school on 01772 792681 or if you would like to speak to the dedicated NHS COVID-19 service, call 119.
LCC COVID-19 Quick Guide